Monday, August 31, 2009

A Field Guide to Boxology

I'll be interested to hear the discussion around this paper in tomorrow's lecture, because I'm not sure what I was supposed to take away from it. The first three sections seemed like a crescendo up to a set of tables that I expected to be incredibly rich...but that fell flat on their face for me. Like 慈 said in a previous post, it was like reading a dictionary. It just came of as a list of facts. The fact that a "Heartbeat" style has a hierarchical control issue topology whereas the "client/server request/reply" style uses a "star" topology doesn't seem to give me any insight or have any room for a controversial interpretation, but the information may be useful in the future as a reference. Section 4 did try to give a little more insight and context to the styles, but it still came off as information better suited for flash cards than analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment